Heat up your winter days with a bowl of this hearty winter greens soup with butternut squash and cauliflower, a nutritious and filling meal the entire household will love.
When the temperatures drop under freezing, an insatiable yearning for consolation meals units in. This winter vegetable soup suits snugly into that class. Heat and nourishing, however surprisingly gentle. I typically make a giant batch of this soup and eat it for lunch all through the week. It’s an effective way to work some veggies into my mid-day meal. Cheese and crackers on the facet, or a slice of rosemary olive oil bread fills me up.
There’s no want so as to add cream to this winter vegetable soup to make it thick and hearty. After cooking down the greens, merely puree a number of cups of the combination and add it again to the remainder of the soup. The flavors are implausible, wealthy with the sweetness of butternut squash and earthiness of cauliflower, and punched up with a shake of dried chile flakes.
Suggestions for making this recipe
- Cook dinner the aromatics: This soup begins by sautéing a traditional mirepoix, which is a mixture of onion, carrot and celery. It supplies an exquisite, savory base for any soup or stew. Garlic cloves are additionally thrown in for further taste.
- Tomato paste in a tube: Tomato paste in a tube is my go-to for tomato paste, except a recipe requires an entire 6-ounce can. Shopping for it in a tube reduces waste and means you’ll be able to keep away from freezing extras from a can. I purchase tomato paste in a tube at Dealer Joe’s, however many grocery shops carry different manufacturers.
- Select your butternut squash: You’ve gotten a few selections. Both peel, seed and chop a butternut squash. You’ll want to have a robust peeler, like this one. Alternatively, purchase pre-chopped butternut squash, which is what I do once I’m feeling lazy. You could find packages within the produce part in most grocery shops.
- Use Good-High quality Vegetable Broth: Use do-it-yourself or store-bought. Simply ensure it’s one you just like the style of as a result of that taste will shine by within the soup.
- Mixing Choices: Whereas the recipe suggests partially mixing the soup for a creamy but chunky texture, you’ll be able to regulate the mixing to your choice. Should you choose a very clean soup, mix all of it. In order for you it chunkier, use an immersion blender to regulate the extent of mixing.
- Spice it Up: Should you like a bit of warmth, take into account including a pinch of dried chili flakes to the soup for some further taste and heat.
See recipe card under for full substances record & recipe instructions.
KEEP IN TOUCH
and obtain recipes straight to your inbox!
Tips on how to mix soup
This soup is partially blended. You can definitely puree all the soup till actually clean, like my Moroccan Carrot Soup. Nonetheless, I actually like the mix of the blended broth with chunks of tender cauliflower and butternut squash. The soup has a creamy texture, however you’re additionally stunned with bursts of taste if you chunk into one of many cooked greens.
How do you mix soup? Since only a portion of the soup is mixed, I choose to switch a number of cups of the combination to a blender and puree it till nearly clean. Should you choose, use an immersion blender to partially mix the soup, leaving items of the greens intact.
If utilizing a daily blender, cool the combination for about 10 minutes. Mix the combination in two batches if vital. The liquid will nonetheless be fairly scorching, so sometimes launch the steam (whereas the blender is off) to keep away from the lid blowing off the highest of the blender. Mix till clean.
What to serve it with
This butternut squash vegetable soup is a satisfying meal by itself, but it surely can be paired with a wide range of sides or accompaniments. Listed here are some concepts:
- Crusty Bread: Serve with a heat, crusty bread, resembling an olive oil fast bread or a baguette, for a whole and comforting meal.
- Cheese and Crackers: Create a cheese platter with a choice of your favourite cheeses and a few crispy crackers.
- Salad: A easy inexperienced salad with a do-it-yourself dressing can enhances the soup completely. Strive my Greek Salad Dressing or Apple Cider Vinegar Dressing.
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich: A traditional Grilled Turkey Sandwich pairs splendidly with a bowl of this soup.
Make-Forward and Storage
Make-Forward: You possibly can put together this winter vegetable soup upfront. After cooking, permit it to chill fully earlier than storing it in hermetic containers. You possibly can preserve it within the fridge for as much as 3-4 days, making it a handy possibility for meal prepping.
Freezing: This soup freezes rather well. Let the soup cool fully, then divided it into hermetic freezer-proof containers like these ones, or divide it into resealable freezer luggage.
If utilizing plastic freezer luggage, first seal the luggage after filling, then organize on a baking sheet. Freeze them on the baking sheet so that you just’re left with flat luggage of soup which are stackable. It’s a fantastic space-saving trick to maintain your freezer organized.
Reheating: When able to take pleasure in, thaw the frozen soup within the fridge in a single day or use the defrost setting in your microwave. Reheat it on the stovetop or within the microwave till it is scorching and able to serve.
Continuously Requested Questions:
Whereas butternut squash is the star of this soup, you’ll be able to experiment with different winter squashes like acorn or kabocha. They’ll add a special taste profile however ought to work effectively within the recipe. To copy the sweetness of the butternut squash, attempt substituting with candy potatoes.
Sure, this winter vegetable soup is each vegan and gluten-free.
Completely! You possibly can customise this soup by including different winter greens like candy potatoes, parsnips, and even some leafy greens like kale for further vitamins and taste.
Different Soup Recipes You may Love
Should you make this recipe, please let me know! Depart a star ranking ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and remark beneath the recipe card under. Thanks!
Winter Vegetable Soup Recipe with Butternut Squash & Cauliflower
A recipe for a wholesome and satisfying meal – this winter vegetable soup, with butternut squash and cauliflower is one to make time and again.
Servings: 6 Servings
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 clove garlic minced
- 2 medium carrots lower into skinny half-circles
- 2 medium celery stalks thinly sliced
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ + ⅛ teaspoon dried chile flakes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 ¼ pound butternut squash about 4 cups
- ¾ pound cauliflower about 3 cups
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup minced Italian parsley
- Salt and pepper to style
Forestall your display from going darkish
Warmth olive oil in a big saucepan set over medium warmth.
Add the onion and cook dinner, stirring sometimes, till the onion simply begins to melt, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic, carrots, celery, thyme, dried chile flakes and salt. Cook dinner till the greens are tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir within the tomato paste and cook dinner for one extra minute.
Stir within the butternut squash, cauliflower, vegetable broth, water and bay leaves. Carry to a boil, then cut back to a simmer, partially cowl the saucepan and cook dinner till the squash and cauliflower are tender, 15 to twenty minutes.
Let the soup cool for 10 minutes, then switch 3 cups of the soup to a blender. Puree till nearly clean, then stir the combination again into the soup.
Stir within the parsley, add salt and pepper (if desired) and serve.
Please be aware that I’m not a medical or dietary skilled. I present dietary info for my recipes as a courtesy to my readers. It’s calculated utilizing the LoseIt! calculator. Whereas I try to supply info that’s as correct as doable, it’s best to calculate the dietary info independently earlier than counting on it.
Serving: 1.5Cups | Energy: 97.9kcal | Carbohydrates: 20.1g | Protein: 2.8g | Fats: 1.8g | Saturated Fats: 0.2g | Sodium: 653.6mg | Fiber: 5.6g | Sugar: 6.5g
This submit was first printed on November 11, 2019. Up to date on November 7, 2023.
Disclosure: I’m a participant within the Amazon Companies LLC Associates Program, an affiliate promoting program designed to supply a way for me to earn charges by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated websites.